Upper Bhavani Lake Ooty Entry Fee
150 per person for Bus safari
1200 for Jeep ride for 8 people
Upper Bhavani Lake Ooty Phone
Rating: | 4.2/5 stars
Based on total 48 reviews
Upper Bhavani Lake Ooty Address: 6GHF+WC3, Dam Rd, Tamil Nadu, 643209, India
Upper Bhavani Lake is one of the lesser-known but among the most beautiful and captivating lakes of Ooty. It's an artificial water body created by the Upper Bhavani Dam, and a must-see tourist spot in Ooty. It's a must-visit for anyone who admires nature in its raw beauty.
The lake is an entry point to view the flora and fauna of the Nilgiri hills. En route your trip, you can also visit Bhavani Amman Temple. The blooming flowers in the grasslands and the rolling tea gardens make Upper Bhavani Lake Ooty an evergreen tourist destination.
Lush green Cauliflower Shola groves add flavour to the journey. And fog and mist over the blue mountains and blue waters add an air of mystery to the space.
Those who are looking out for natural spots around Ooty, shouldn't miss this tourist place.
Here's all the information about Upper Bhavani Lake Ooty you need to plan your trip.
Where is Upper Bhavani Lake in Ooty?
Upper Bhavani Lake is in the Nilgiri Biosphere Reserve, on the outskirts of Ooty. It is about 60 km away from the city, near the Avalanche region. You can reach the forest check post using your vehicle or hired cabs. From the check post, only forest vehicles are allowed to take the visitors to Upper Bhavani Lake.
Things to do at Upper Bhavani Lake
1. Taking the bus safari – From the check post, you have to take a forest minibus to visit the lake. You can enjoy spectacular views of different attractions in the vicinity and also spot animals and birds on the way. It takes 45 minutes to reach Upper Bhavani Lake, during which it stops at some more places for a few minutes.
2. Enjoying the views of the Sholas – One of the bus stops is to view the Shola forests, also called Cauliflower forests. These forests are in a steep valley full of trees that look like cauliflower/broccoli. You can see these green forests and distant blue hills throughout your trip.
3. Trekking to the falls – Trekking is a side activity you can undertake during your short stop for the view of the forests. A small spring runs down the valley. You can walk down the rocky approach path amidst tall trees if you enjoy some thrill.
4. Visiting Bhavani Amman Temple – On the way to Upper Bhavani Lake, the minibus also stops at the Bhavani Amman Temple. It's a small temple in the picturesque settings of the Nilgiri Biosphere Reserve. Take blessings from the goddess when you visit.
5. Relaxing by the picturesque lake – The last stop of the safari is Upper Bhavani Lake. Water activities aren't allowed in the lake. But you can enjoy the calmness of the surroundings, the views of the blue hills, and the cloud's reflections in the crystal clear, greenish-blue water.
6. Clicking photographs – You can click photographs at multiple places during your trip to the lake. The place allows you to click selfies with the backdrop of the clear lake, green valley or the falls. Professional photographers are also available to click your photos for a small price.
Upper Bhavani Lake Entry Fee and Timings
You don't have to pay any entry fee to visit the Upper Bhavani Lake viewpoint. The only fee you need to pay is for the bus safari ticket. It costs ₹150 per person. If you're in a group, you can book a jeep instead. Each trip costs ₹1200 for eight people.
Upper Bhavani Lake visit timings are from 9 AM to 3 PM. The safaris start around the same time as soon as the buses start filling. Each safari lasts for about 2 hours.
Best Time to Visit Upper Bhavani Lake Ooty
You can plan a trip to Upper Bhavani Lake at any time of the year. The lake never dries. During the monsoon season, though, the trails are muddy, and intermittent rains can ruin the visit.
The best time to visit the lake is winter, between October and March. The temperature is favourable for exploration, and the weather is soothing. Also, a touch of fog and mist during those days adds magic to the place. Visit during the morning hours for the best experiences and better chances of wildlife sightings.
Time to Explore Upper Bhavani Lake
You need at least 3-4 hours to explore the lake. Private vehicles are not allowed in this wildlife reserve. Just reach the forest department check post, book your safari tickets and wait for your turn. No additional permission is needed to visit Upper Bhavani Lake.
Also, it takes a little more than an hour to reach Upper Bhavani Lake from Ooty. So, you must set aside an entire day for the visit.
Things to keep in mind while visiting Upper Bhavani Lake
- Carry the necessary amount of food and water.
- Do not litter the area.
- Keep an umbrella/raincoat.
- Take your hat and sunglasses.
- Avoid roaming away from your safari group.
How to Reach Upper Bhavani Lake Ooty?
The distance between Upper Bhavani Lake and Ooty is about 60 km. You can drive to the forest department check post, after which private vehicles aren't allowed. From the check post, minibuses and jeeps take you on a safari to Upper Bhavani Lake and other places around.
The Upper Bhavani Lake check post is 55 km away from Ooty Bus Stand. It is about 87 km away from Mettupalayam railway station and 125 km from the nearest airport at Coimbatore.
Now, here's how you can go to Upper Bhavani Lake from Ooty –
By taxis/cabs – Taxis and cabs are the most comfortable way to visit and explore Upper Bhavani Lake. You can book them from top car rental companies in Ooty and enjoy the day at leisure visiting the lake and other places on the way.
Ooty Tourism, a division of Holidays DNA offers various all-inclusive Ooty tour packages at pocket-friendly rates. Our team of experts has designed these packages considering everyone’s needs and holiday requirements. You can also book a tailor-made package with us if you want to make changes to the existing itinerary. For assistance, please fill out the Contact Us form and our travel experts will get back to you soon.