Avalanche Lake Ooty Entry Fee
0 (No Entry Fee)
150 per person for Bus Safari
1200 per trip for Jeep Safari
Avalanche Lake Ooty Phone
Rating: | 4.1/5 stars
Based on total 75 reviews
Avalanche Lake Ooty Address: 28 kms from Ooty, The Nilgiris, Ooty, Tamil Nadu, 643001, India
Surrounded by mountains and covered by lovely flowers around, Avalanche Lake Ooty is a tourist spot away from the bustling traffic. Avalanche Lake Ooty makes the perfect setting for a family, adventure package.
If you are wondering how the lake landed with such a name, it is a misnomer because it was formed by a huge landslide and not an avalanche. You find large varieties of flowers, like magnolias and rhododendrons blooming on all sides of the lake. The waterfalls rushing down the nearby mountains further add to the beauty of this already alluring landscape.
Avalanche Lake is one of the finest attractions in Ooty and receives equal love from adventure seekers, nature lovers and photography enthusiasts. The activities offered, along with the adorable views, sets up Avalanche Lake Ooty as the perfect getaway for families and solo travellers alike.
If you are interested in spending the night there stargazing, take a tent with you as you have provisions for pitching tents there.
Things to do at Avalanche Lake
1. Gazing at the views – Being a part of the Nilgiri biosphere reserve, Avalanche Lake in Ooty is a protected area. The mountain ranges covered with shola forests, and the numerous sporadic waterfalls crawling down the slopes, create a picturesque backdrop.
2. Trout fishing – Visit Avalanche Lake after monsoons, and you’ll find that the lake is available for fishing and acts as an apt location for fishing hobbyists. Nearby the lake itself you have a trout hatchery, from where you can get fishing rods and other essentials you require.
3. Camping – If you want to spend a night lying down observing the sky, camping at this gorgeous destination in Ooty is a must-do. Pitching a tent is allowed but confirm with the office first if they will permit it on the days you want to be there. Forest rest houses are also there for overnight stays.
4. Trekking – The mountains surrounding the avalanche lake are wonderful trekking spots and you can do a little bit of exploration of your own. But do take the necessary precautions before you venture out into deep forests. The area is a part of a wildlife sanctuary and is the habitat of animals like bears, tigers and elephants, among others. So, check your trekking gear and get going for an adventure in Avalanche Ooty.
5. Forest Safari – The forest department organises 2-hour Avalanche Lake Ooty safari. The safari is on a bus/jeep which stops at three designated viewpoints, the last one of which is the Avalanche Lake. You get to visit the Bhavani Amman temple and also view the green cauliflower shola forest cover around.
Image Gallery of Avalanche Lake Ooty
Best Time to Visit Avalanche Lake
Although Avalanche Lake remains a pleasant tourist destination throughout the year, the best time to visit the lake would be just after the monsoon when all the surrounding land will be blooming with flowers.
September-October is that time of the year when the valley blooms with flowers, the monsoon season is over, and the heavy rains raise the water level in the lake. Therefore, it serves as a marvellous opportunity for those who want to test their trout fishing skills.
The months of March and April provide another opportunity to view the orchids, magnolias and rhododendrons swaying in full glory.
Time to Explore Avalanche Lake
It is a popular picnic spot among the locals. And if you too want to remain at the shores, either fishing or appreciating the views, you can spend 2-3 hours at Avalanche Lake. However, for the safari, you will need additional 2-3 hours depending on the availability of vehicles. Trekkers and adventure seekers can choose to stay overnight at the government guest house or set up camp at Avalanche Lake Ooty.
Avalanche Lake Ooty Timings and Entry Fee
Avalanche Lake Ooty entry fee is zero, and you’re free to visit it throughout the year. But you’ll need to pay for the government vehicle at the checkpoint. Private cars aren’t allowed inside, and you’ll have to travel in a jeep/bus for the last 3-4 km to the lake. The buses run at fixed intervals, and the charge is ₹150 per person. You can opt for the jeep if you prefer that. It is available at ₹1,200 per trip, and each jeep can accommodate eight people.
The regular visit timings for Avalanche Lake Ooty are from 9 AM to 3 PM. On some days, however, the forest department might restrict access to this pristine lake due to uncertain weather conditions. So, check with the office before planning a camp, safari or any other activity there.
Places to visit near Avalanche Lake
Once you finish your trip, here is a list of tourist spots around Avalanche Lake Ooty for you to visit.
1. Emerald Lake – It is a lovely lake surrounded by dense forests, situated about 5 km from Avalanche Lake in Ooty. Apart from the clear, blue water, the tea estates and the mountains around amplify the beauty of the location. You can also enjoy spectacular sunrise and sunset at the Emerald Lake.
2. Vegetable Land – The climate in Ooty is favourable for different fruits and vegetables, and the entire Ooty to Avalanche Lake route has patches of farms. Passion fruit, peach, strawberry, cabbages and carrots are among the various fruits and vegetables grown in Ooty. Depending on the time of your visit, you can also check how people grow plants organically or harvest it.
3. Deer Park – Despite its name, the Deer Park doesn’t only have deer species. It is about 20 km away from Avalanche Lake and boasts of a variety of flora and fauna. Hares, rabbits and different birds, along with the flowers, add to the charm of the park.
4. Thread Garden – It is a small artificial garden situated just across the road from the Ooty Lake. Fifty skilled craftsmen weaved those brightly coloured flowers, plants and the green lawns using thread. The entire procedure was done by hands, and it took 12 years to create what you see at the Thread Garden today. It’s about 20 km from Avalanche Lake.
5. Rose Garden – Further 3 km from Thread Garden, lies the gorgeous Rose Garden. It has thousands of varieties of roses brought from all around the world. The climate of Ooty favours a long blooming season for roses, and you can find many rare and exotic roses in the garden in a rainbow of colours.
How to Reach Avalanche Lake Ooty?
Avalanche Lake falls under Nilgiri Biosphere Reserve, and it’s about 22 km from Ooty city centre. Numerous Ooty to Avalanche Lake bus and taxi services are available at regular intervals to drop you there. And you can also rent a private cab from top car rental companies in Ooty. It’s a scenic one-hour drive surrounded by mountains and tea plantations and vegetation on the slopes of Nilgiris.
And here are the various options you have, to reach this famous hill station in the Nilgiris – Ooty.
· By Road – NH67 connects Ooty to major cities in its neighbourhood. You can avail buses and taxis at affordable prices from Bangalore, Coimbatore and Mysore.
· By Rail – A metre gauge steam locomotive (aka toy train) connects Ooty to Mettupalayam, 40 km away. Nearby cities like Chennai and Coimbatore have daily trains for Mettupalayam railway station.
· By Air – The nearest airport is 88 km away, situated in Coimbatore. It has multiple flights from Delhi, Chennai, Hyderabad and other Indian cities including Bangalore. Bangalore airport, about 300 km from Ooty, can be the preferred airport for those who want to come to Ooty from outside India.
Things to keep in mind while visiting Avalanche Lake
Now that you have plenty of information about going to Avalanche Lake in Ooty, here are a few tips to make your experience better.
1. Prior permission might be needed from the forest office in Ooty to visit Avalanche Lake. So, check with them before setting out for the trip.
2. Reach the checkpoint by 9 AM to avoid rush and delays. It also ensures that you get maximum time to enjoy the place.
3. Be sure to take warm clothes while going there as the climate is bound to get chilly and early morning dew is also very high.
4. If you have trekking in your mind do take the proper gear as if you are going after the monsoons there is a high probability of leeches being present all through the way.
Avalanche Lake offers a perfect hang out during the daytime, where you can set up a camp site and cook the fish you caught and then enjoy the night in the tent with your family. What more do you need? To visit this mesmerising lake and other such popular sightseeing places of Ooty, we at Ooty Tourism, a division of Holidays DNA have designed Ooty tour packages that you can choose from depending on your time constraints and budget. For more details on various package costs, please fill the Contact Us form and we will get back to you.