Ooty is an affluent hill station in South India. It is a popular tourist destination in India with several tourist places to visit in Ooty and a paradise for nature lovers. Situated in Tamil Nadu, amidst the Nilgiri Hills, Ooty is renowned as the “Queen of Nilgiris”. The hill station is visited by tourists throughout the year for its plush greenery, misty landscape, and pleasant weather.
Ooty is well connected through road and rail while the journey is quite picturesque. There is no airport in Ooty, but there are several nearby International airports that connect the city to the world. You can conveniently reach Ooty from the airport via road or rail. You may hire a taxi from top car rental companies in Ooty that takes you down the winding roads to the beautiful hills.
Coimbatore International Airport (CJB)
Located in Peelamedu, Coimbatore International Airport is the nearest airport to Ooty. The distance from Coimbatore Airport to Ooty is around 87.2 kilometers and it takes about 2.5 hours to reach the destination. It is an important international airport in Tamil Nadu and a short drive from the city, making it the nearest airport from Ooty.
The airport has a single runway and a single passenger terminal. Buses don’t ply from the airport but you can book a cab to Ooty from the airport. For a budget-friendly ride, you can take a bus from the Gandhipuram Central Bus Terminus to reach Ooty in around 3 hours.
Coimbatore Airport to Ooty by Train
Train is the best mode of transport for reaching Ooty hill station from Coimbatore, as the journey is fun and entertaining. Although there aren’t any direct trains from Coimbatore to Ooty you can complete the journey in two parts:
1. Take a train to Mettupalayam station: You can book a train from Coimbatore to Mettupalayam. It will only take an hour to reach the destination.
2. Nilgiri Mountain Railway / Ooty Toy Train: Once you reach Mettupalayam, the onward journey can be covered by the famous Ooty toy train run by the Nilgiri Mountain Railway. The train slowly takes you to Ooty as you enjoy the stunning views of the mountains and valleys. It may take up to 6 hours to reach the hill station but the journey is worth the time.
Coimbatore Airport to Ooty by Taxi
Ooty is around 85 kilometers from Coimbatore Airport. You can take a taxi from the airport and reach Ooty in approximately 2.5 hours. The journey along the Ghat roads is refreshing as you witness remote forests and hillocks on the route.
You can take any one of the following routes:
1. Coimbatore to Ooty via Kotagiri- The road condition on this route is good with only 4 hairpin bends. The distance between Coimbatore to Ooty via this route is 96 kilometers which can be covered in around 3 hours.
2. Coimbatore to Ooty via Coonoor- This route is around 100 kilometers and has around 14 hairpin bends. The road condition isn’t as good as the other route, but the scenery is equally magnificent.
Coimbatore Airport to Ooty by Bus
Direct bus service from Coimbatore to Ooty is available from Gandhipuram Bus Station. You will not find buses for Ooty at the airport. The bus from Coimbatore to Ooty takes 2.5 hours to cover the 100 kilometers distance between the cities.
Other Nearest Airports to Ooty
The airports near Ooty are located in neighboring cities that are famous tourist destinations and draw visitors from across the globe. They are connected with Ooty by road and rail, making it easy for visitors to commute. We have curated a list of airports closest to Ooty:
1. Calicut International Airport (CCJ): Calicut International Airport is located in Kozhikode and is locally known as Karipur Airport. It is among the Ooty nearest airports, located at a distance of around 140 kilometers. The airport is a hub for Air India flights.
You can reach Ooty from Kozhikode airport in around 2 hours by booking a cab. Buses are also available from the airport, but it is a one-stop route. The distance of the bus route is around 250 kilometers and it takes around 8 hours to reach Ooty.
2. Kannur International Airport (CNN): Inaugurated in December 2018, Kannur International Airport serves the Malabar region in Kerala. It is a hub for Go Air flights and has the capacity to serve more than a million passengers each year. The Kannur Airport is a prominent airport nearby Ooty and is located around 217 kilometers away from the city. It will take you over 5.5 hours to reach the city by road.
Buses run and managed by Karnataka State Road Transport Corporation (KSRTC) are available at the airport. You can travel from the airport to Thalassery and head over to Ooty via bus. The trip will take around 7 to 8 hours by bus, but you can book a taxi to cover the distance in approximately 3 hours.
3. Cochin International Airport (COK): Located in Nedumbassery, Cochin International Airport is among the important airports near Ooty. It is an international airport handling flights from Air India Express, IndiGo, Spicejet, and other prominent airlines. It has three passenger terminals, including an Executive Terminal. The airport is around 240 kilometers from Ooty and you can travel via road or rail to reach the city.
You can take a train to Coimbatore and book a cab to reach Ooty in around 5 hours. Direct taxi is also available at the airport and it takes less than 4.5 hours to drive you to the hill station. Another option is to catch a bus for Ooty at the KSRTC bus station in Cochin, but the journey will take over 8 hours.
4. Kempegowda International Airport (BLR): Kempegowda International Airport or Bangalore Airport is South India’s most popular airport. Flights from all major airlines including AirAsia India, Air India, Alliance Air, IndiGo, Go Air, Star Air, and SpiceJet land at Bangalore airport. It is approximately 331 kilometers from Ooty and is well connected by road and rail.
A train journey will take around 4.5 hours and is the most economical travel option. Bus services with varying seating options are also available and you would reach Ooty in 4.5 hours. You can also book a cab at the airport and reach Ooty in over 5.5 hours. The route from Bangalore to Ooty is picturesque and ideal for a road trip.
5. Tiruchirappalli International Airport (TRZ): Tiruchirappalli International Airport, also known as Trichy Airport, is situated in Tiruchirappalli, Tamil Nadu. It is a hub for IndiGo flights and is well connected to nearby cities through road and air. Ooty is 291 kilometers from Trichy airport and can be reached in 8.5 hours by bus.
For a more economical journey, you can take a train from Tiruchirappalli to Coimbatore and cover the remaining distance by car. The journey will take over 7 hours, but you can book a cab directly from the airport to reach the hill station in just 4.5 hours.